Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Sunrise District Meeting

Check out how the sunrise looks through the bushes.
From 10-27-09Frank


Last week, Elder Bullock and I were invited to attend a sunrise district meeting in San Fernando, which is about a 1 hour drive from our apartment. Elder Bullock grumbled a little when we had to set the alarm for 3:45 am in order to get there before the sunrise but he obediently jumped out of bed when we heard the ring of the alarm.

Here's a photo of what San Fernando hill looked like when we arrived.
From 10-27-09Frank


Now I just have to make a comment about the elders. I keep making the mistake of believing everything they tell me.

When Elder Toupou said it was only a five minute walk to where his sunrise district meeting was to be held, on top of San Fernando hill, I, once again, naively believed him.

He said, "We'll just walk down this path and we'll be there in no time."

Soon the path turned into a steep road. The elders continued to walk with a brisk step while Elder Bullock and I quickly lagged behind as we huffed and puffed our way along.

Elder Toupou was the only one turning to see if we were still following.
From 10-27-09Frank


We needed to be at the top before 5:45 in order to see the sunrise.

We were almost there when, luckily for us, the elders stopped to look over the cliff.
From 10-27-09Frank


We were just happy to finally stop huffing and puffing and climbing.

Then, I noticed this cute little sign at the edge of the cliff. Hmmmm! "Maybe those elders shouldn't be standing so close to the edge", I thought. But, who cares what an old lady thinks, anyway!
From 10-27-09Frank


When they continued climbing up to this ledge, I knew I wasn't following! Notice, I'm way below them as I snapped the photo.
From 10-27-09Frank


Luckily, they decided we had climbed high enough to see the sunrise and have our meeting, and...out came the sun! Wow!
From 10-27-09Frank


We were all feverishly snapping photos from every angle. I think this was one of the four Elder Jones in the mission.
From 10-27-09Frank


Here he is again posed with our favorite book!
From 10-27-09Frank


The meeting was held around this huge picnic table and here we are as it is finishing.
From 10-27-09Frank


The lesson was well taught by Elder Toupou from Australia about heeding the words of the prophets.

We ended the meeting by each of us sharing why we were serving our missions. I cried a few tears...as usual. Twas a tender moment for all.

Yes, the sunrise was delightful but the district meeting was more than delicious!

It was definitely worth all our huffing and puffing to be there!

1 comment:

Derek White said...

Great shots, Robin! I love the first one of the sun through the bushes!