Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Did I really do this in Guyana?

When I accidentally stepped into this big muddy alligator trench, Elder Bullock called out to the elders, "Don't pull her out until we get her picture!" I think he had momentarily forgotten about the small alligators we had seen in this same trench earlier that evening.

I got a little mud on my new skirt, but at least I didn't drop my umbrella or my flashlight!

Is that mud oozing out of my boots?

This was my first try at crossing one of these boards. We were on our way to a house that is out of sight in this photo. You'll notice,Elder Bullock let me go first!

It wasn't so bad getting there, but an hour later when we returned in the dark, things didn't go so well. Three of us fell off the board into the water. And judging from my past record with muddy trenches, do you suppose I was one of the three? I'll just let you guess the answer.


How safe does this bridge look? It didn't look very safe to me!

The elders, all three of them, kept beckoning me to come.

Do you suppose I wanted to fall into another muddy trench? Well, this time I made it across.


Alligators are common in all the larger trenches around town, ones just like the one I fell in. They aren't huge but we've seen ones a lot bigger that the one pictured below.

One night after dark, the elders arrived in a taxi with this little feller. They had just caught it and were excited to share it with us. Notice, he is still alive but his mouth is tied shut. I can't believe I touched him and even held him. It looks like Elder Bullock was hoping for a midnight snack.


Later, the elders caught another one and perhaps you remember I cooked it and we all ate it. When they caught the Anaconda and skinned it, I had no interest in cooking and tasting it.

We'll miss crossing the many little bridges that are in front of every house. There are trenches and water everywhere in Guyana.

Here's my last goodbye to Guyana and now we're on to more missionary adventures in Trinidad.
From Recently Updated

1 comment:

L Ence said...

My son said he ate a delicious burrito at your place in Point Fortin on P-day! Thanks for serving & taking care of the missionaries!
Lisa Ence