Saturday, April 19, 2008

The unbelievable happened!

It all started with a baptism interview that Elder Bullock was scheduled to give to Terry and Sharmala in their tiny home situated deep in Cow Dam.

When we arrived with the 2 elders, Elder Webb suggested we all wait outside while Elder Bullock interviewed them inside privately, one by one, because their living room was very small.

Elder Bullock had been concerned about interviewing them in the normal dim lighting he expected to find in their home. Later, I discovered, the room was pitch black. There was no lighting.

Terry and Sharmala with Amanda (on their wedding day last week.)

After a sweet prayer by Terry we exchanged our kisses, and hugs and headed for Family Home Evening at Jade and Travis’s. We found them in front of their little home.

Jade was wearing green, Travis had the blue shirt and 4 of their little brothers were part of the group.


Travis had a long stick and was taunting a couple of small alligators that were resting in the big trench in front of their home, while Jade sat on a horse cart watching and cheering him on.


Here is what a horse cart looks like. They are all over town.

We took a seat next to her on the horse cart, and said in our minds, “Good evening and move on over” to the mosquitoes that surrounded us and held a sweet family home evening together.

As we walked home in the dark, I was watching my steps closely to avoid the mud and puddles. I came to an area that had a lot of mud and decided to move over to the left, when suddenly to my surprise, the unbelievable happened.

I stepped right in the huge trench…the same one where Travis had been taunting the alligators!

I was waist deep in muddy, dirty water and one of my knee-high rubber boots was stuck fast in the deep mud.

Elder Bullock and the two Elders, Webb and Williams, instantly grabbed me and began to pull me from the trench. There was no way I could get out on my own.


“Stop, take her picture before we pull her out!”, called Elder Bullock to the elder and Elder William's camera instantly flashed.

Muddy me

I tugged and tugged at my boot until it finally came loose from the deep quick-sand like mud, and they were able to drag me from the trench.

When we arrived home, the elders and Elder Bullock dowsed me with glee with bucket after bucket of cold water.

I’ve learned that you’re not an official Guyanese until you fall in a trench! I guess I’m now official.

6 comments:

Little Star said...

Wow, You're such an adventurer...
Laura Croft has nothing on you...

It really is exciting to read about all you're doing... and seeing all the lives you're touching...

Nothing but love for ya!!!!

meema14 said...

Robin: I am curious about the language. Do they all speak English? Apparently so, or you wouldn't be able to converse, sing,etc. You look just wonderful being pulled out of the ditch! Always smiling. What a great spirit you have. Love the blogs.
Love, Vicki

Ken Hoglund said...

official it is :)

Erin said...

Your hilarious stories make me want to cry because they remind me of the amazing experiences we had in the islands! The Craigs told us about your blog and I was able to find it on-line. We're so excited to share in your experiences! Thank you for being such wonderful people, we can't wait to be just like you someday! Love you, love you-Erin, LeRand, and Shiloh (you can visit our blog and watch Shiloh grow up)

Derek White said...

I knew it was only a matter of time before you fell into a cayman-filled trench! Funny!

pam said...

You are such a good sport! First the alligator infested water and then the buckets of cold water to wash it all off. But thank goodness for E. Bullock and the elders who pulled you to safety. P.S. I have been out of town visiting children and grandchildren so am late reading your blog. Keep up the good work.