Friday, March 13, 2009

Phagwah...what's that?

Here in Guyana they celebrate a Hindu holiday, named Phagwah. I have no idea what it is for. What I do know is that you wear your older clothes that day because you never know who is going to throw colored water, colored powder or sparkles all over you, including in your hair.

Today I still have sparkles all over my face and neck from 'playing Phagwah' last night. My hair is still stained red from all the powder thrown on me. And who would do such a thing to me? The elders, of course!

From 2009-03-12Phagwah

About 8 pm last night, after answering a knock at my door, I was greeted by Elders Lee and Jordan. They had come to show me all the colored powder that had been thrown on them. When I started to take their photo, they insisted I be in the photo with them.

As I stepped towards them, suddenly, I was baraged with powder from the top of my head to my feet by the two of them aided by their 3 accomplices,who were hidden from my view Nanda and her two daughters, .

From 2009-03-12Phagwah

Is that that sweet Elder Jordan who just dowsed me good with powder?

From 2009-03-12Phagwah

Does Elder Lee look like he is loving life...and Phagwah?

From 2009-03-12Phagwah

Here's how we all looked after Elder Jordan finished powdering us!



Meet Elder and Sister Larsen, our neighbors upstairs, who stopped by our apartment to show off their...well, I guess you can see what it was!

From 2009-03-12Phagwah

One more group photo to include the whole powdery group. Can you see all the stuff in my hair and on my face and neck...and all over my clothes?

From 2009-03-12Phagwah

Elder Jordan just kept pouring powder all over his head and everyone else. He is from Georgetown and is a true Guyanese, so he is an old pro at celebrating Phagwah!

1 comment:

Dave and Tauna said...

Sister Bullock,
We heard all about Phagwah in Elder Lang's letter last week. He had also been ambushed. Good times.