Saturday, July 19, 2008

Checking out Rosignol and Bushlot

I ordered vegetable soup and here's what they brought. I don't recognize any of the ingredients. I added a a little hot pepper sauce and loved every bite of it!


The brown things in the middle are some kind of chewy mushroom I've never tasted before.


See the 3 cute elders at the left of this photo. They are Elders Sarager, Bullock and Falatau and we met them in Rosignol to eat lunch together in celebration of Elder Sarager's 20th birthday.


They are even cuter close up! Elder Falatau is from Tonga and is learning to speak English. He has been here a year and speaks English well.


See them, again, in the Chinese Restaurant ordering their food. The restaurant is on the main street right in Rosignol. Looks pretty nice, don't you think?

After lunch, we walked the 20 minute walk to the Rosignol chapel and I'll show you the sights we saw as we walked.

Here is the main marketplace and it is almost deserted. It is very busy every morning with vendors selling fish, chickens, fruits and vegetables. But, it is after lunchtime now and the vendors have pack up their "stuff" and gone home. There is only one woman who stays out there all day selling her fruits and veggies in the hot afternoon sun.


Here's a little dirt side road we could look down as we passed by. None of these neighborhood side roads are paved.

Do you feel like shopping?


I bought a skirt for $15 in this store a while back.

This store looks like it has mostly jeans. Long jeans are very popular here even though the weather is soooo hot.


As you can see, the clothes are hung outside to entice people like me to come in and take a look...which I have been found to do on occasion!



This cart is used to load stuff around. Somebody owns it and he is paid to be a "mover". He might be moving anything from pineapples to furniture. He is the only horsepower that moves the cart.

Where did you come from and who do you belong to?


Here is a little building that houses a barber shop. I didn't see anyone inside so I thought it was safe to snap this photo. As soon as I did, I heard someone yell at me from out of nowhere!


At last we made it to the Rosignol Chapel that occupies the first floor of this big building.



And here is what it looks like inside. It is pretty spacious. You can see some of the classrooms that have been partitioned at the back of this photo. There are a few more classrooms behind where I am standing. Notice the ceiling fans. There are probably about 8 of them and they are really noisy.

When we arrived the chairs were all askew and I got to straighten them before our Joseph Smith fireside started at 6 pm.

Sicily, Cynthia and Coleen are 11, 13 and 15. They met me at the chapel so I could teach them their first keyboard lesson before our fireside. They arrived late, so I had the 3 of them play all at the same time. We couldn't find the electrical cord so they had to play the keyboard with no sound! It was a pretty unusual lesson. Their father is 6'7" so they are pretty tall, too.

Here is their daddy. Can you believe that his "call name" is Tall Boy? Many people here in Guyana have a "call name" which is completely different from their real name. The real name and the "call name" usually have no similarity.

These three men are inside the temporary Bushlot chapel after church has just ended. There are about 50 who are meeting as part of the Bushlot group and it will soon be a branch. It is about 20-30 minutes by car from the Rosignol chapel. The church is really growing in Guyana.


Here are some cute girls after sacrament meeting in Bushlot. The little girl refused to look at me and the girl on the left was embarrassed, too.

Here are more photos of what it looks like in the area nearer the Bushlot chapel. It is more rural.

It was fun to watch these goats try to find their way around and through the water.


We love to walk the 102 steps on this bridge to the white house at the back where Bro. Samaroo, the group leader of the Bushlot group, lives.


It's a pretty exciting walk, especially after a heavy rain!

Here's my best photo of the day. Check out this cute lady in red who is wading in her knee-high boots so she can hang out her clothes on the lines to dry. The blue buckets at the right are her "washing machine".

3 comments:

Jan and Larry Myers said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this wonderful glimpse into our new home! You're an awesome friend to do this for us. We're so very excited to be joining you and these wonderful Elders and members in Guyana!! Just 43 days to the MTC!

Jan and Larry Myers said...

Great photos! The goats remind me of Curacao, but we never had so much water, just a lot of goats roaming the streets.

Tell me, what is that white stringy stuff in your soup? Is it noodles of some kind?

Paige said...

Hi! I am the cousin of the GREAT Elder Sarager that you talk about. My Aunt Marcinelle gave me a link to your blog and I just love it. I am actually jealous of this amazing experience that you are having! I hope to do the same with my husband someday. I served with the Cambodian people when I was 21. It's neat how much you love the people and culture! Keep up the great work and say hi to Elder Sarager for me. We are so proud of him!

Paige Barron from Texas