Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Market morning

Every morning is market morning in Rosignol.

Rosignol is the little town where our ferry lands and we begin our walk to the church for our missionary district meeting Tuesday mornings. Walking through the market on our way to the church is always a thrill for us.


Check out this cute little guy selling chickens. He was especially exciting because after he let me take his photo, he held out his hand to shake my hand. What do you suppose he had all over his hands after he had just handled all these raw chickens? You guessed it...raw chicken goo. His was the last photo I took and I could hardly wait until I made it to the church so I could wash my hands thoroughly!

Now come with me and I'll show you what you missed as we walked through the market. These are the photos I took before the gooey handshake!

Notice each cute little lady with her own individual stand. They were all tickled when I asked them if I could take their photo. Below you can see the long green strands of bora hanging. They are a vegetable that is similar to a green string bean that they use in their fried rice.


See the purple eggplants...

And the watermelons...

Pumpkins, tomatoes and more eggplant...and tiny round red hot peppers behind the pumpkin. Do you suppose she has any teeth?

More of everything...and I even caught a smile from her...


What's that hanging from her mouth? Check out the yummy pineapples! We never tire of them.



Hi, granny. I love fish but I haven't the courage to try any of these.

Now, I'll show you why I pulled out my camera when we began our walk. I suddenly saw this great big pig just strolling across the busy highway. He was following his nose looking for some good garbage.

We waved goodbye to the pig and turned the corner to start down the dirt road towards the church.



We passed a few puddles...as usual. It's been raining a lot.





This one was a little too deep to want to wade through.





We passed a lot of garbage that was strewn everywhere.

The last time we walked through here there were two huge pigs munching on the garbage. Too bad they weren't there today for you to see.


We finally made it to the edge of the morning market. And you already saw all the rest of the market.

There's dad calling, "Are you coming with me?"Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Chrystal said...

Hi! We found you in a round about way. We hope you are enjoying your mission!!

Dan & Chrystal Hollingsworth

Maggie said...

reminds me of my youth in Hong Kong, the fruit/vegies, and chicken look so fresh! Miss you two! Maggie

Dozen Senses said...

The colors at the market come across amazing! Geeta is too good to be true & yes her smile is the best! I took your photos of the Primary children to Sharing Time last week. I'll be using some of the stories from your mission in my lessons this month. How far are you from the nearest temple?

melissa and nathan said...

Hi, i have been reading your mission experience for about 1 hour. Absolutely amazing! I found your blog through my sister Jessie and her husband Erik. I hope to return to this and keep updated on your incredible experience. Thank you for sharing your mission with us!
I live in Twin Falls, Idaho!

Ken Hoglund said...

Cool looking market place!