Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Needing Rubber Boots

Dad is asleep in the chair near me in the living room. His chin is on his chest. The fan is blowing and it feels great as I type. It is 10 pm. We’re both tired and a little sunburned. We had several errands to do today, and rather than drive through town, dodging cows, dogs, people, wild drivers and huge potholes full of water in the roads, we preferred to walk our errands. It was very overcast and we forgot we might get sunburned. One of our errands was to buy me a pair of rubber wading boots to the knees. Dad had already inherited a pair and we wondered why we might need them. Last night we discovered why. We also bought 3 folding chairs, a few groceries, including a bunch of canned goods and fresh fruits and veggies from the fruit stand, and carried everything home. We were gone for hours and our arms were aching by the time we carried it all home.
Here is one of the places we walked by as we did our errands today. Check out that nasty guard dog!

Then, we rushed over to the chapel where we had planned an activity of games for the youth. We played the “running for the 3 chairs” game and the one where two teams compete to build something like a flower using everyone’s bodies. They squealed and seemed to have a great time, especially the 2 branch presidents. There were about 30 there, including about 17 youth and the 4 elders. I was a little worried about the chair game because I had been warned that many people don’t read and they might get embarrassed. One of the Branch Presidents can’t read and the wife of the District President can’t read. Here in Guyana, if a child can’t afford to buy a uniform, they can’t go to school. There are many very poor people here, so there must be many that don’t go to school.

The coast of Guyana, where all the villages are, including New Amsterdam, is under sea level. It is like New Orleans. That is why there are trenches and water everywhere. There is no shortage of water around here. It is one big swamp in most places. It covers the parking lot of the Post Office and there are little bridges from the roads to each person’s house. The trenches are nasty looking. There is lots of trash in them and the water looks very brown and dirty. All the rivers and the ocean are very brown. Here are some typical houses in the poor areas. Most are on stilts. I took them today when noone was watching.

The neighborhoods where the elders spend most of their time, where many of the members live, are very poor. The paths through these areas are made of dirt and when it rains, the dirt turns to squishy mud. Sometimes there is a line of boards to walk on, but not always. Then, of course there are the trenches everywhere on the sides of the paths. So, mud, water, and potholes full of water are a big factor. You watch every step as you walk. Behind some of the houses, there is a place where the elders claim there are alligators. They want to go on an alligator hunt.

Last night, the District President planned an activity and invited the branch members, including us, to meet at one of the trench bridges at 4 pm and his plan was that we would break up into small groups and visit the inactives. We were to just tell them we miss them, we love them, and we would love to have them come back to church. One of those we visited was the new Branch President that was just called 3 weeks ago after being a member for 2 ½ months. He had been offended last week and wasn’t going to return.

The group dad and I were assigned to consisted of one elder, the district president and the 2 of us. The district president led the way, and when we got to the path he wanted to take, I looked down it and all I could see was squishy mud. The elder and the president were wearing rubber boots to their knees with their dress pants tucked in. Of course, dad and I weren’t as prepared. I had on my new sandals and dad his new black missionary shoes. The district president looked at us and said, “Oh, I think we’ll be ok.” Well, I trudged on forward and immediately the mud squished up between my toes and squished and squished some more with each step. I just kept moving and thinking, “I’ve got another pair of sandals for Burt to de-mud tonight”. I took a photo just before we arted down this path. The elder is looking back at me as if to say, “Come on in, the water’s fine!”

As we walked, we saw some of the most incredibly poor living conditions I had ever seen. I was wishing I could take out my camera and just snap away at all of the shacks…but I just couldn’t. I would have felt like a complete jerk if I had. So, you’ll just have to imagine with me as I try to help you envision it.

Each of the two homes we visited were “guarded” by a host of 3-4 mangy dogs. When we walked to the front doors, the children would have to hold on to all the dogs so they wouldn’t…well, you know what…bite us! Gingerly I would walk by them thinking all the while, “Oh please don’t bite me. I know you probably have rabies.” Then, we’d leave our muddy boots/sandals/shoes at the bottom of the stairs. As I walked inside, I looked down at the wet mud still oozing between my toes.

The second home was that of Pres. Lewis, the new branch president who had been offended and wanted to quit. We sat there and talked with him in his tiny humble home with 2 of his 4 children and his wife. He very sweetly agreed to come back to church while the others just listened silently. As we sat in the tiny living room, I noticed that there was one area of the square home that had sheets hanging to serve as two walls to form a bedroom. I wondered, “Do they all sleep in this little bedroom together?” The only other area of the home was the living room.

As to bathroom facilities, the elders said there was a toilet right by the front door with a bucket or some kind of container under it to “catch” everything that would later be dumped outside. I didn’t notice it.

As we talked, darkness enveloped the room. No lights ever came on. I wondered if there were any.

We left their home , walking through the pitch darkness and their muddy walkway that led from their home to the main muddy path. Suddenly, I noticed two little naked boys about 7 or 8 running towards me and their house. Then, I noticed an outside wash tub and realized they must be taking their evening bath and were darting back inside their home now that we were leaving.

I was glad I had my flashlight as we weaved our way back through the sloppy mud to the bridge where we all met. The group was all waiting for us. We had a prayer to end our over-24 hours of group fasting, and we all separated to walk on to our homes. As I slipped my dirty feet out of my muddy sandals outside my front door, I thought, “Tomorrow, I’m buying me some boots!”

As I pondered what little these people had and how fine the line is between when they have barely enough to eat and survive and when something occurs in their life and they don’t, I felt guilty. Why did I have so much and they have so little. “Why does prosperity have to be so unevenly distributed?”, I wondered. Am I happier because I have more? Does the Lord expect more of me because of what I have? How can I help?

Later, the elders told me that Travis had been out of work for 2 weeks because of a cane cutters strike and that he and his 17 year old wife, Jade, have no food. Travis and Jade are the new members where we have the heavenly family home evening. They had gone fishing in the trench in front of their home yesterday and caught 3 tiny fish about 4-5 inches long and had eaten them for dinner. I cringed thinking of the garbage in the trenches.

So, tonight when I went to the activity, I took a bag of rice and gave it to her. She said to me, “We had to pay all our money for the rent and we had no money to buy food. I have been praying all day that somehow we would have food to eat.” So, after the activity, dad and I gave the elders more food to take by her house. I couldn’t imagine what I would do if I just had no food to eat and no way to get some. I have been panicky since being in Guyana about starving here and I have a cupboard full of food. How silly I am!

No comments: